If some parts of your hair are widening, you have found bald spots and you are losing more than 125 hairs per day, you are experiencing hair loss and you must consider seeing a dermatologist. Yes, hair fall in women happens a lot too. Hair fall in women has different kinds and several causes. The truth is that if you are experiencing this problem, there is little you can do to prevent this, but if you go to dermatologists early, you may get a good result from the treatment.
What is hair fall in women?
When women experience unexpected, heavy hair loss it is called hair loss in women. Humans lose between 50 to 100 single hairs per day. In fact, Hair shedding is something usual and a part of natural balance. Generally, some hairs fall while others grow in, but during hair fall in women, less hair grows. Shedding is completely different than hair loss. The term “alopecia” is a medical term that refers to hair loss.
Cycles of hair growth
- The anagen or growing phase: this stage may last from 2 years to 8 years. The anagen phase refers to 85-90 percent of your hair.
- The catagen or transition phase: in this phase which takes 2 to 3 weeks, hair follicles start to shrink.
- The telogen or resting phase: this phase happens in 2 to 4 months. Hair falls at the end of this stage.
Shorter hairs such as eyebrows, eyelashes, or arm and leg hair include a short anagen phase (one month). The scalp hair usually lasts up to six years.
Types of hair loss in women
If you want to get informed about the reasons for hair fall in women, you must first become familiar with types of hair loss in women. There are actually three types: anagen effluvium, telogen effluvium and FPHL.
- Anagen effluvium: this is one of the three types of hair fall in women which is caused by medications. When medications such as chemotherapy poison a growing hair follicle, people experience hair loss.
- Telogen effluvium: when an increased number of hair follicles reach the telogen phase, this type of hair loss happens.
- Androgenetic alopecia/ female pattern hair loss (FPHL)/ female pattern alopecia/ baldness: this is one of the most common types of hair loss in women. In this type, the hair that exists on top of the head and the sides gets thinner.
Is hair loss something common in women?
Most people believe that hair loss only happens to men. But it is estimated that something about 50% of women will face hair fall. FPHL or female-pattern hair loss is the most significant cause of this problem. About one-third of susceptible women (about 30 million women in the United States) experience FPHL.
Who is more likely to experience hair loss?
- Women who are above 40.
- Women who have newborn children.
- Women who had experienced chemotherapy and other medications
- Women who have some kinds of hairstyles like tight ponytails or tight braids
- Women who use harsh chemicals
- Menopausal women
Causes of hair fall in women
- Hairstyle: when your hairstyle is in a way that the pressure is on the roots, like tight ponytails, braids, or cornrows, it can cause hair loss. This type is called traction alopecia. When hair follicles get damaged, the loss may be permanent.
- Vitamin deficiency
- Dieting or rapid weight loss
- Restrictive diets
- Over processed scalp hair
How to prevent hair fall in women?
When the cause of hair loss is aging, disease, heredity, or physical stressors, it may not be possible to prevent hair loss. However, if the cause of hair loss is chemicals or tight hairstyles, you can avoid them to prevent hair loss. Moreover, you must quit smoking and eat a healthy diet to receive the necessary nutrients in terms of minerals, vitamins, and protein.
Some tips to deal with hair fall in women
Here are some tips you can do to deal with hair loss:
- Color your hair. This way your hair will seem fuller.
- Consider messaging your head, so that blood flow will be stimulated.
- Get your hair cut shorter and add layers to make it seem fuller.
- Be careful to choose the suitable shampoo to add volume without using sulfate detergents.
- Consider using the right kind of product at the right time. Keep in mind that too much product may add weight.